This year’s Most Notable Property Program was held at the Missouri Theatre in downtown Columbia. The ornate features of the 1928 theatre made for a beautiful surrounding. Lavish appetizers and sparkling punch, provided by the University Club & Catering, along with cupcakes by the Velvet Cupcake, were held in the Grand Foyer with the main event proceeding in the Locust Street Lobby. Posters of the Most Notables were displayed on a table before guests entered the ceremony space. The main event began with a short video highlighting the honorees. Special thanks go to the talented producers at the City Channel for putting the film together. The video was followed by introductions of the preservationists by Historic Preservation Commissioners. Awards were accepted as the recipients gave short speeches regarding their time and experience with the property. Overall, the event went off without a hitch and there was a wonderful turnout of approximately 85 people.
This year’s honorees are as follows:
Hugo and Lucy Vianello for their work on the restoration of the Missouri Theatre. ca. 1928.
Special recognition as “Most Notable Preservationists” was given to the Vianello’s for their decades of work preserving the Missouri Theatre. By the 1980s, the theatre had been vacant for many years and in need of repair. Realizing the fragile state the once premier “Movie Palace” for the city of Columbia was in, the Vianello’s wrote a check to serve as earnest money, and began working with the Missouri Symphony Society (MOSS), who purchased the theatre, and the Women’s Symphony League to return the pre-depression era theatre back to its original form. It reopened as a symphony hall in 1988 and by 2008 the Missouri Theatre Center for the Arts was fully refurbished and reopened with help from MOSS, in which the Vianellos were active participants. The property was sold to the University of Missouri in 2014 and continues to be the home of MOSS. Thanks to the Vianello’s dedication to the restoration of this Midwestern gem, many have and will continue to enjoy the theatre’s beautiful baroque rococo-style features.
Brauer, George P., House located at 213 S. Glenwood. ca. 1916.
This Colonial Revival style home is one of the many built by John A. Stewart who played a major role in the development of the Old Southwest, as it is known today. The home is remarkable in that it has seen relatively few changes over the years. Notable historic features include the exterior porches, hardwood floors, original millwork in most rooms, and a mid-century kitchen with enameled steel cabinets. The home was originally sold to George P. Bauer in November of 1916 though there is no evidence of him actually living there. Dr. Dan G. Stine, an MU graduate and an associate Professor of Medicine at the University in the 1910s and 1920s, rented the home in 1917. By 1922, Dr. Ben and Mrs. Linna E. Vaughn were the home’s owners until they sold the property to Frank E. Dexheimer in 1930. The Dexheimer family lived there for over two decades and then sold it to Truman and Edna Tracy in 1952. Their children sold the property in 2000. With as many owners as the home has seen, its historic features inside and out still remain surprisingly and beautifully intact.
Charters, W. W. and Jessie Allen, House located at 600 S. Glenwood. ca. 1914.
Located in the Westwood Addition, platted by John A. Stewart, is the home originally built for the Dean of the University School of Education, W. W. Charters and his wife, Jessie Allen Charters. Though the Charters only lived there for a short time, the home has since proven to be a favorite by its owners. It has always been owner-occupied and lived in by each for at least a decade. The Charters sold the home to Arthur and Illma Meyer in 1917 and by 1930 the couple sold it to Dot and Bessie Sappington who lived there till 1941. Later owners include the LeMone family and the Eastmans. Currently, Del and Kay Robertson live at the property and have spent a majority of the past 20 years improving the home and surrounding grounds. The home’s condition at purchase, in the mid-1990s, was very poor due to being hit twice by lightning resulting in a leaky roof. Instead of accepting advice to raze the property, the Robertsons dedicated their efforts to restoring many of the most significant interior spaces and upgrading the exterior of the home. Outside, a large front porch was added and the original wood shingle and clapboard siding was repaired and repainted. Inside are original wood floors, doors, and other millwork that have been restored. Other notable historic features are a formal vestibule at the front entrance, a foot-operated buzzer in the dinning room, and a built-in ironing board in the kitchen.
Frederick Apartments located at 1001 University Avenue. ca. 1928.
Across the street from Mizzou’s campus sits one of the largest early 20th century urban apartment buildings in central Columbia. This four-story Classical Revival was one of the first apartment buildings to offer middle class housing in a multi-unit setting. Many who originally lived here were owners of local businesses or faculty of the area’s colleges. The apartments were built by F. W. Niedermeyer as a memorial to his eldest son First Lieutenant Frederick W. Niedermeyer, who served as a pilot during World War I and died during a military fight in March of 1925. FREDERICK is inscribed over the top of the front doorway and a stylized version of Air Service pilots’ wings is featured on the arched pediment over the same door. David Frederick (Fred) Wallace designed the building while living in Independence, Missouri with Harry Truman, his brother-in-law. Frederick Apartments was recently rehabilitated, which included updates of interior finishes and exterior masonry repairs, all while preserving the building’s most important historic characteristics. Restoration included uncovering and restoring the lobby’s marble flooring and installing custom-made apartment entry doors, which match historic doors. Most of the original millwork, including the wood floors and small paneled delivery doors in the halls, were retained and restored.
Hubbell Place Addition located at the 100 block of Hubbell Street. ca. 1909-1945
Within one block on the northeast edge of downtown Columbia, lies a collection of early 20th century houses. John M. Hubbell, who spent many years in the grocery and dry goods business and later worked as the business manager of the Columbia Daily Tribune, originally platted the addition in June of 1909. This land had been in his family for decades. His parents, John Price and Anna Marie Hubbell purchased two-thirds of this city block in 1875, which became Hubbell Place. The Hubbell Place Addition included 7 lots facing E. Walnut Street, thus creating Hubbell Drive that runs perpendicular to Walnut and contains 11 small house lots. The first house to face Hubbell Street (now 103 Hubbell) was built by Mrs. Anna Hubbell, the widow of J.P. Hubbell. Hubbell Drive saw a flurry of construction between 1926 and 1928 as nine houses were built. All of those houses are relatively modest Craftsman style bungalows of similar size and form. 108 and 112 Hubbell were the final two houses built in the subdivision in the 1940s. Since then, the street has seen little change.
**Research regarding the preservationists and historic properties is credited to Deb Shields
**Photos of the properties credited to Deb Shields